11.14.2013

Lake Mowich Loop: Part II

Mt Rainier from Spray Park
 

Morning came but not fast enough as I struggled to stay asleep the second half of the night. Another bright sunny day laid ahead. 
Soon camp was behind me and Mt Rainier was waiting for me!
On the way up Spray Park Trail creeks, waterfalls and more creeks flowed over and adjacent to the trail. Wildflowers popped up everywhere! This is what I had been waiting for!!!!


 
Snow soon covered the trail as Mt. Rainier slowly revealed her glacier capped head. Mother mountain and her craggy ridge protected my back to my south as I slowly hiked through an ice field. Once up the snowfield Rainier was is full view. This was the highest point of Spray Park Trail but instead of heading to lower elevation I had to get closer to Rainier's Spectacular vastness. An off-trail path headed closer to Rainier. Alpine wildflowers were blooming everywhere. After a 1000 foot climb I sat in the warming glaring sun eating lunch as I starred at the snowy giant. 
 
 I've seen Mt Rainier while driving north and south on I-5 and while hiking in Clearwater Wilderness but this trumps all other views. Up close and personal!!!! I took out my topo map of Rainier and studied its peaks, glaciers, ridges, cliff faces and its topography just like I love to analyze my GF's beautiful eyes and face!!! Minutes smeared into an hour!! Pure relaxing enjoyment!!
   Off down the trail i passed many day hikers who were heading up. I met a threesome from the Czech Republic who spoke of only the respect they had for Mt Rainier. So glad it's in my back yard!!
Through the lush water soaked alpine fields of spray park I quickly hiked. Avalanche lilies were so abundant that it was as if the ground was snow covered! 
 
Into the trees I walked while taking the side trail to see Spray Falls.
I was not expecting to see and experience what laid infront of me!
I'd never heard of Spray Falls therefore i didn't know what to expect. Its shear cliff face with a robust amount of beautiful cascading water had me sudennly sitting down and head turned up in amazement! Mist slowly swirled around my body giving the experience an fantasy land like feel! 
Snack-time!! 
After cooling off in the mist I journeyed the rest of the way back to my old VW golf. Another trek, another adventure, another wonderful weekend in the PNW!!


 



 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment